While at an event recently I had the opportunity to spend some time with a mom of 3 grown children. Out of the three children, two of them are not walking with the Lord. She is very weary. At the beginning of the evening I intentionally pulled her away from the party and found a private place for us to talk. We sat down and tears immediately began streaming down her cheeks as she told me how, at one point during this journey she has been on with her 2 precious, rebellious children, she withdrew. After all, 2 of her 3 children aren’t living for the Lord. What does she have to offer anyone in the church? She has failed.
I had the privilege of reminding this faithful, godly woman of truth.
8 Truths To Cling To If You Feel Like You’ve Failed As A Parent
- You did the best you could with the knowledge you had while raising your children.
- We are not perfect parents. God is the only perfect parent.
- If there are areas of failure, you are forgiven. Take some time and ask God to show you anything that you may have done that was not the best. Repent and ask for forgiveness of anything he may show you, then ask your children for forgiveness. God forgives you and so will your children!
- It’s not all up to you! Ultimately, God is the only one that can do a work in our children’s heart. We do not have the power to do that work.
- There is not a list or a formula for parenting. As moms we desperately want a formula (I am one who wanted that formula–sometimes I still do!) a list of things to do that might guarantee that our children will do what is right. That formula does not exist.
- God does not fail. God is good! Because God is the one who does a work in the heart’s of our children, even if you did fail as a mom, God has not failed! God is good!
- You have MUCH to offer the church! You have this message to offer: God ultimately is the one who will capture the heart’s of our children and GOD IS GOOD!
- The story is not finished yet. THERE IS HOPE!
Yes. There is hope! God is good!
Isn’t it encouraging to know that God is good and that He REALLY IS in control? That He REALLY DOES want what is best for us and what is best for our children – – even more than we do!
We must cling to the truth that God is good and that there IS hope!
Are there circumstance that are you walking through today that tempt you to lose hope? Is the enemy whispering in your ear that God is not good? Take time to share that in the comments so that we might be reminded that we are not alone in this battle, and so we we might have the privilege of praying with you!
We are in this together! Keep clinging!